Monday, January 31, 2011

The Function of the PMC

As I read the essays, I found that instead of understanding the notion of class divisions I simply had more questions.  I understand the Ehrenreichs definition of the PMC, made much clearer by Carter, but there are some contentions of the PMC that are still unclear to me.  Take the registered nurse example in Ehrenreichs on page 13. What defines one registered nurse from another in terms of where they are placed in the class spectrum?  Does the specialized training required place them in the PMC?  The Ehrenreichs said that “There is simply no way to classify registered nurses as a group.  What seems to be a single occupational category is in fact socially and functionally heterogeneous” (13).  But then they define the PMC in terms of profession, and state that a characteristic of the profession is “the existence of a specialized body of knowledge, accessible only by lengthy training” (26).  This particular example of the registered nurse as a profession also fits the other characteristics.   Therefore, wouldn’t a registered nurse automatically be placed in the PMC?  I suppose one issue I’m having is the difference in professions now compared to when the essay was written. 
I do think that the PMC is a class unto itself.  I like the way Carter sums up the definition created by the Ehrenreichs.  The PMC is forced to sell its labor to capital, but is also like the capitalist by engaging in planning and managing.  The PMC also functions to manage and service the working class (100).  I find that this definition helps to explain the PMC more clearly, but there are obviously some contentions with certain jobs in terms of where to place them within the PMC or outside of it, despite the working definition. 
I do think that the PMC in many ways rules itself, in terms of movement.  I think that today the PMC is still socially coherent because of the way children of the PMC still marry other PMC children.  I also think there is a shared common culture and that PMC occupations are not hereditary.  The only place I see a difference today is the role of women versus men.  I think that now in terms of childraising there is more of an equal footing.  There are still many women who chose to stay at home to raise their children, but there are also men taking on that role, as well as many women who chose to continue to work while raising their children.  I wonder how this has affected the PMC in terms of family dynamics and how it relates back to the culture or lifestyle of the class, since it is always changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment